Monday, August 24, 2009

Monster In my Pocket

These guys were my childhood! Originally made by Matchbox, each fluro coloured rubber figurine represents a scary monster small enough to fit in your pocket. Amazing! These awesome guys came in single packs, packs of four and packs of twelve (I’ve even seen packs of 24 on the internet!!!)





I loved these, I remember collecting them, playing with them, even trying to use the figure trade markings on their feet to make games with them (even then I had dreams of creating my own promotion!)



After a quick MIMP Google search a full memorabilia listing reveals hundreds of products and promotions that spun off the original MIMP concept. These included a Card game, Hanna-Barbera cartoon and a Nintendo video game by Konami!!! If only my young eyes were exposed to all this as a child!!! Other promotions included many international cereal/slurpee inserts.





I remember the collectors mountain to display all your monsters, which I never got, the monster pouch was more my style back then.




Like all good things of the 90s (Ninja Turtles, Care Bears, Transformers, etc) MIMP has recently been re-done!!! This time incorporating the miniatures directly with a card game, very simular to Top Trumps (see post below) but definitely awesome, see the website, learn how to play the vard game and watch the TV ad here.



Also see new 'creators' of monster in my pocket website where you can also learn about puppy in my pocket, kitty in my pocket, pony in my pocket, jungle in my pocket, baby in my pocket, pocketville and more!